Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Another Turn in the Road

After what seemed like a very short weekend, Adam went back home. He seemed distant and quiet, but then he is always distant and quiet. It shouldn't alarm me, but it does. Sometimes I wish he would talk, but when asked how he feels his reply is always the same "I'm fine." Nothing more and nothing less.

Except for Sunday. When I asked how he was he stated that he was "sore all over and my lymph nodes hurt" He complained of being dizzy the night before, but then he told me that he fainted or as he called it, "kinda passed out" early in the morning when he got up to go to the bathroom. We found out this morning the reason.

His nurse called me at work and left a message to call her, it sounded urgent so I immediately called her back. She wanted an update on Adam and wanted the information about the fainting spell. She then proceeded to tell me that Adam's hemoglobin was under 10, which normally calls for a blood transfusion, and that they want him at the hospital in the morning at 8:30 to do a blood workup and very likely give him blood.


This was something that they had told us was a possibility, but it still was somewhat alarming, as the day before we were told his counts were good. However, Adam was even more perturbed.

But the bottom line is that this last round of chemo, kicked his butt in a sense and in order for us to continue to fight this thing with all the energy he has, he will possibly need this blood transfusion. So it's off on another turn in this journey.

No comments: